Pioneer Motor Service - Nowra

This is a historic listing of vehicles owned and operated by Pioneer Motor Service - Nowra.

Operator Information   Full Fleet List

Accreditation: Pioneer Motor Service Pty Ltd, Acc No's. 9491 & 11447, Nowra
Depot Address/s: South Nowra
Service Runs: 700 Sydney - Eden
School Runs: Nowra - Cambewarra
Nowra - Kangaroo Valley
Nowra - Ulladulla (x2)

Pioneer Motor Service formed in August 1929 under the principal ownership of Mr Cecil Bartin Haigh and two partners - Haigh bought out the two partner's shares of the business not long after trading commenced. The initial service commenced with seven seater cars which ran from Bomaderry Railway Station to Tilba Tilba, Central Tilba, Bermagui, Cobargo, Quaama & Bega. The service was extended to Eden with the purcahse of the Bega to Eden service from Edwards Bus Service in 1946.

Pioneer Motor Service purchased Bartletts Bus Service from the Reo Motors (John A. Gilbert Group) in 1962 and henceforth had complete set down rights for the whole of the South Coast. Harrison's Motor Service continued to operate the night service until it was purchased by Pioneer in the early 1970s, leaving Pioneer as the sole long distance operator on the South Coast. Pioneer operated a feeder service to Bermagui which resulted in the commencement of school runs from Narooma to Bermagui when the Bermagui school closed - these runs were sold to the Symons family in the mid-1980s.

Kenneth Haigh operated a service from Nowra - Moss Vale via Kangaroo Valley in the 1940s. The school service was reduced to Nowra - Kangaroo Valley during the 1950s and taken over by Gerald and Jeffery Haigh in late 1968 after Kenneth passed away. G & J Haigh sold the mail and freight section of this service to Anthony Clout in 1973 and the school runs were later taken over by Pioneer Motor Service in 1987. Two school runs from Nowra schools to Ulladulla commenced in the 1990s. MO 1145 & MO 2833 were purchased to operate these services.

The deregulation of intrastate coach services services saw Pioneer Motor Service extend their northern terminus from Bomaderry Railway to Central Railway, Sydney. Continuation of Pioneer services to Sydney had only previously occurred during rail strikes and organised railway maintainence shutdowns.

The Haigh family sold the Pioneer Motor Service trading name to Nowra Coaches along with the Sydney to Eden express service and Nowra to Ulladulla (x2) school runs on the 1 May 1995. The Nowra to Cambewarra and Nowra to Kangaroo Valley school runs were sold separately to Kennedy's Bus Service with MO 1247 Leyland Leopard & MO 1909 Nissan also on 1 May 1995.
The previously operated vehicles section lists some of the vehicles operated from the 1970s onward under Haigh's ownership. Disposals for the vehicles sold to Nowra Coaches and Kennedy's can be found in their fleet lists.

© 2008 to 2015. If you have information you wish to contribute to these fleet lists, please contact NSW Moderators