Riverside Bus and Coach Service trading as Parramatta-Ryde Bus Service

This is a historic listing of vehicles owned and operated by Riverside Bus and Coach Service trading as Parramatta-Ryde Bus Service.

Operator Information   Full Fleet List

Accreditation: Riverside Bus and Coach Services Pty Ltd t/a Parramatta Ryde Bus Service, Acc No. 8273, Ermington
Depot Address/s: 65 Atkins Rd, Ermington - no longer in use with the STA.
Livery: Red and Cream
Service Runs: 333 Parramatta - Chatswood - now route 520 with the STA.
333 Parramatta UWS Parramatta
406 Auburn - Ermington
540 West Ryde - Parramatta
555 Parramatta - Homebush Bay

By the date of Govt Gazette 13 November 1925, W.H. Phillips owned route 173 that operated Parramatta - Ryde via Kissing Point & Parramatta Rds. R.B. Staunton also operated on this route. Ownership transferred to Bill Phillips junior on the death of his father in 1949 and operator incorporated as Parramatta Ryde Bus Service in June 1950. Ownership passed to the Kennedy and Ferris families in the 1950's. Des Kennedy had been company manager since 1950 and Ivan Ferris had been supervisor of maintenance and vehicle building since 1955. Various additions to the service occured:
- Extra peak hour service from West Ryde (?) - Auburn commenced following the opening of Silverwater Rd bridge across Parramatta River, operating 10 November 1962 to January 1963.
- Ermington West and Boronia Street diversions commenced by 1963.

The charter operation was known as "Trailer Tours", a name reflecting the company's years of semi-trailer bus operation. This trading name remained in use up until the company's demise on the three Tourmasters and the rear of most vehicles, advertising charter services.

On 19 January 1981, Parramatta Ryde Bus Service and North & Western Bus Lines commenced the 333 Chatswood - Parramatta "Red Arrow" service, operated jointly by both companies. Between 1990 and 1994 the route became solely operated by Parramatta Ryde Bus Service.

Route 406 Auburn - Ermington was purchased from Auburn Coaches on 8 March 1993 with no vehicles.

On 1 June 1993, the operator's name changed to Riverside Bus and Coach Service t/a Parramatta Ryde Bus Service, following the purchase of Kennedy's share in the business by K.A. (Ken) Butt, proprietor of neighbouring North & Western Bus Lines.

An additional 333 service between Paramatta and UWS, Rydalmere commenced on 20 March 1998, operating during university semesters only.

A new service commenced on 20 April 1998 from Parramatta - Ermington - Olympic Park, operated by Parramatta Ryde on behalf of the Olympic Roads & Transport Authority (ORTA). Initially allocated route number 4 by ORTA, it was renumbered route 555 in November 1998.

On 13 December 1999, Ken Butt transferred his share in Parramatta Ryde Bus Service to the State Transit Authority of NSW (STA) in conjunction with the sale of North & Western Bus Lines to them. The STA assumed full operation of Parramatta Ryde Bus Service when the Ferris family sold their share of business 28/2/00. The depot was initially used by the STA and later sold off for redevelopment.

Acknowledgements: Fleetline (journal of the Historic Commercial Vehicle Association), Australian Bus Panorama (journal of the Bus & Coach Society of Victoria Inc) and http://www.sydneybusroutes.com.

.



.

© 2008 to 2015. If you have information you wish to contribute to these fleet lists, please contact NSW Moderator